Our History

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.   Hebrews 12:1

South Wilcox 1909-1948

We began in March 6, 1909 as a people of vision, faith, and commitment to Christ.  Our first facility, the South Wilcox Church, started as a one room frame building, A parsonage was added in 1922. In 1925, an annex and a fellowship hall was built, we had hired a full time pastor, organized a Women’s Missionary Society, and even held a Vacation Bible School with 70 students. Week long revivals fanned the flames of faith one held from March 25-April 8, 1928 advertised the church as “A Soul Saving Station.” Indeed it was! Everything progressed well in the 1930’s and 40’s.

Wesley in 1949

Then on Monday, May 3, 1948, a tornado struck, destroying over 300 homes and buildings, including the church. The strength and resilience found in faith shone brightly as everyone pitched in to clear the wreckage. A sign posted on the property read, “We’re down, but not out – Watch us grow back.” And grow back we did! New buildings were erected on the corner of Chestnut and Short Streets. With the new location came a new name, Wesley Memorial Methodist Church. The first service held on the new site was on December 4, 1949, with “Our God Is Able” being the message. Surely that truth was evident, The 1950’s and 60’s held lots of good moments in ministry.

Wesley in the ‘70’s and beyond

A challenge arose early in the 1970’s as Wesley was asked to consider relocation to the west side of the expressway. Our present acreage was purchased, and a first phase building was constructed in 1974, followed by our sanctuary in 1976. The move and the growth of McKinney has enabled the ministry of Wesley to flourish.

Our current facilities include the Educational Building completed in 1992 and the completion of the west wing in 2002 as well as a steeple being placed on the roof of the sanctuary in November 2002.

On Sunday March 8, 2009 we enjoyed a great celebration of “100 Years of Faithful Service”.  Many former members and pastors celebrated with us.  Beginning the later part of 2008 each church was celebrated separately leading up the the grand celebration.

We look forward to our future with a gratitude to God for our past.  We seek to carry on our wonderful heritage of vision, faith, and commitment to Christ that will glorify God always.